What is Methylisothiazolinone Allergy?
Methylisothiazolinone is used as a preservative and synthetic biocide that is used as an ingredient in many personal care products and industrial solutions. It has been banned in numerous countries across Europe and the rest of the world, but remains legal for use in the United States.
For animals that become exposed to it on your skin, it works as a cytotoxin that adversely affects your cells in different ways. The horrible news about methylisothiazolinone is that it is used as an ingredient in less expensive cosmetics that we apply to our skin and hair.
What’s even worse to know is that methylisothiazolinone allergy is present in about 15% of the European population according to research that has taken place there. The physical allergic reactions that occur on the skin when exposed to methylisothiazolinone include various types of dermatitis and swelling that can be very severe. In sensitive allergy sufferers, dermatitis across the entire body can occur, which can result in serious discomfort and pain.
Breakdown of Methylisothiazolinone in Chemistry
Alternative names: methylisothiazolinone, MIT, MI, methylisothiazoline
IUPAC Name: 2-Methyl-1,2-thiazol-3(2H)-one
Chemistry Names: 2-Methylisothiazol-3(2H)-one and 2-Methyl-4-isothiazolin-3-one
Chemical group: Isothiazolinones
Chemical Formula: C4H5NOS
Uses: Synthetic biocide and preservative
Effects on the body: Cytotoxic to cells, potential allergen
Methylisothiazolinone products list:
- Cleansing wipes
Methylisothiazolinone uses and applications:
- Preservation from microbial growth
- Production of energy
- Industrial sanitization
- Mining processes
- Paint manufacturing
- Metalworking fluid
- Paper manufacturing
Why is Allergy to Methylisothiazolinone (MIT) so Dangerous?
When a person with MI allergy puts this chemical on their skin via a leave-on lotion, moisturizer, makeup, or sunscreen, the body produces an inflammatory response on the area that presents itself as an itchy red rash on the skin. The immune system sees the toxic preservative compound as an invader that could potentially threaten your well-being and responds accordingly.
Then, methylisothiazolinone finds its way through your skin and into your bloodstream, where it travels and affects other parts of your body and skin. Some result in getting a debilitating rash across their entire bodies. This can be extremely painful and uncomfortable to deal with physically and emotionally.
What makes methylisothiazolinone dangerous as a preservative or biocide ingredient in cosmetics is that it may set off a severe allergic reaction in those who do not know they have the allergy yet. Also, people with a methylisothiazolinone allergy always have to be on edge if this stuff is legal to use as an ingredient, constantly checking labels and ingredients lists with deep anxiety that they may experience a horrible allergic reaction.
I don’t think this is fair to the general public at all. Most importantly, it isn’t fair to young children that can potentially experience this severe allergic contact dermatitis.
How Common is Methylisothiazolinone Allergy?
Statistical research across Europe has estimated that 15% of the entire European population has an allergy to methylisothiazolinone.
That is insanely common for an allergy. Dermatologists at the Skin and Cancer Foundation have stated that MI is the most common cause of contact dermatitis in the European patient population. They have also added that, since methylisothiazolinone is added to moist wipes to prevent microbial contamination, this may explain the unusually high rates of severe contact dermatitis and red rashes near the groin and genital areas of newborns and small children.
Methylisothiazolinone Needs to be Banned in the US and the Rest of the World
The only reason that businesses and industries are using methylisothiazolinone as a preservative and antimicrobial agent is that it is very cheap. They could easily use another ingredient that isn’t as dangerous, but they choose not to so that profits remain high.
This is incredibly selfish and disgusting. Humanity is better than this and we need to look out for each other if we want to improve our race and solve our upcoming problems.
Putting innocent people and young children through severe pain and death is not worth a few extra dollars that you could save by using methylisothiazolinone, a very poisonous compound to our body’s cells regardless of if you have an allergy to it or not.
If you want to make a difference for the good of our future as a whole, then you can inspect ingredient labels of cosmetics and wipes for methylisothiazolinone, MIT, or MI and refuse to purchase it. The best way to voice your opinion and disapproval is with your dollar. We need to tell these selfish companies that we would rather give our money to businesses that would rather not risk my baby’s life for a few extra dollars.
In addition, we can contact our local political representatives and voice our opinions about the risks of methylisothiazolinone. They will listen to what we have to say, our concerns, and they will actually learn the facts about this poisonous ingredient. Bringing methylisothiazolinone to their attention, teaching them, and helping them become inspired to solve this dangerous problem for our people is definitely what we need to start getting the word out.
The truth always sets us free. In this case, free from potentially developing a severe rash that could kill us. This is the twenty-first century and methylisothiazolinone allergy shouldn’t even be a problem for us at this point.
Common MI Allergy Questions
Is MIT a Formaldehyde Releaser?
Yes, methylisothiazolinone releases formaldehyde and this is one of the mechanisms for why it is so damaging to our cells.
Is Methylisothiazolinone Safe?
No, methylisothiazolinone is not safe. It has been proven to be poisonous and damaging to our body’s cells. I would not risk purchasing or using anything with MIT in its ingredients list.
Is Methylisothiazolinone Toxic?
Yes, MI is toxic. It has been proven to have adverse effects on our body that could result in cellular damage. I would avoid this preservative and antimicrobial at all costs.
Is MI a Silicone?
No, methylisothiazolinone is not a silicone.
Is Methylisothiazolinone Safe in Shampoo?
This is an opinion because the problem usually lies with leave-on cosmetics. But, I would say that MI is not safe in shampoo, especially for those allergic to it. It can still absorb through your skin and into your bloodstream, causing adverse effects. I simply would not risk it and purchasing another shampoo without MI would make a bold statement that you support genuine business practices.
Does MI Cause Cancer?
There is no research that suggests that MI causes cancer. However, that does not mean that it doesn’t cause cancer and we should not forget the potential damage we are doing to our cells and nervous system when we put it on our skin.
Does Methylisothiazolinone cause Hair Loss?
Some people on the internet insist that MI causes hair loss and hair falling out. However, there is no definitive evidence to say that it causes your hair to fall out for every person. I would still avoid it either way.
Can Methylisothiazolinone cause Hives?
It doesn’t seem like MI causes hives on people’s skin. However, it does cause an extremely uncomfortable rash if you are allergic to it.
If you have a question or something to add about methylisothiazolinone allergy, please leave me a comment below so we can have a discussion!
Talk to you soon,